Our SchoolsHigher Secondary Schools

The golden history of St Sebastian's Higher Secondary school begins from the year 1919. Before the year 1919, there was a school named Pope Leo XIII A V School(Anglo-Vernacular school), which was unofficially functioning near the chapel of Our Lady of Miracle, Thoppumpady, about two furlong away from the present St Sebastian's school. Due to some inconveniences, teachers and well-wishers asked the permission of the Parish Priest of St Sebastian's to allow to shift the school. Rev Fr Francis D'Cruz allowed to restart the school in the corridor of St Sebastian's church with the new name St Sebastian's school, Palluruthy. Mr K J Joseph was the first headmaster of the school. The school is situated on the banks of Vembanad lake where it embraces the Arabian sea, sandwiched between the old Mattanchery bridge and the new B.O.T Bridge.

Function of the school was not yet sanctioned by the Department, so the IV std students were taken to Santa Cruz School to write the public examination.

For the smooth functioning of the school, Rev Fr Raphael Edakkat had taken the initiation to construct a school building. In 1922 the school was recognised by the Education Department. This is the reason why the Jubilee has been counted from 30th May 1922 onwards. Mr K P Antho was appointed as first headmaster of the newly recognised school.

In the year 1923, almost all the works of the new school building were finished. The inauguration of the new school building was done on 20th October 1924, the birthday of Rev Fr Raphael Edakkat.

In 1927 begun the form IV (equal to VIII std of this era). In the year 1929 St Sebastian's school completely became a high school.

The school started to function well in all the levels, the strength of the students increased, and there was the great need to accommodate the students. Rt Rev John Martin Rebeiro, the Bishop of Cochin of the time, helped economically to buy the property near the church and John Edakattu Memorial hall was constructed for the school.

In the course of time, an old students' association was formed and at the right side of the church a two storied building was constructed by them under the leadership of Kochunni master, the president of the Old Students' Association of that time. In 1961 K K Vishwanadhan M L A, the former student of the school laid the foundation stone and the new building was inaugurated by the Home Minister P T Chacko, in the year 1962.

In 2000 the school was upgraded as Higher Secondary school. Today St Sebastian's school is a big tree with branches. Primary section, High school section and the Higher Secondary is functioning under three heads. Marching ahead on the road to success, St Sebastian's Higher Secondary school promises a bright future to the society.

Science laboratories - Physics, Chemistry and Biology labs are well equipped to cater to the needs of the latest Higher secondary curriculum. The spacious and well-ventilated labs offer the right atmosphere for student centric explorative learning.
Computer lab- the spacious lab installed with an LCD projector also serves the dual purpose of knowledge centre and AV room.
Audio-visual room.
 

St Sebastian’s Higher Secondary school Palluruthy won the Championship trophy of the Science-Maths-Social Science – Work Experience and IT Exhibition at Mattanchery Sub-District in 2011.
Please click the thumbnails below to enlarge the pictures.